So, you are thinking about moving to Miami? Well, congratulations are in order then. Moving is always a big deal, whether you are moving for the first time or for the tenth. Before moving to Miami, there are a couple of things to know. As one of the largest cities in the USA, there are many things to know about it before moving here. It is in the top 10th most densely populated cities in the US. At its metropolitan area, there 6.1 million people living there. This city is the central point of southern Florida.
It is among the leading cities in the USA and the world in financial, commerce, media, entertainment, and art circles. In 2008, according to Forbes, Miami was the cleanest city of America, which is another great reason for moving here. There are around 2.8 million people living the city alone.
Two-thirds of people speak Spanish as their first language. Of course, many speak English too, but living in Miami is definitely an interesting experience when it comes to matters of language. Things get even more complex when we add about 80 other languages spoken in Miami, like Arabic, Russian, French, Germanic, Serbian etc. One of the best things about Miami is its diversity and the possibility of learning and experiencing so many cultures in one place is a valuable opportunity.
Moving here is not like moving to some town. Professional movers in Florida are numerous, but you should look for the best. Big cities are a whole different story and there are many things that one should be aware of before moving to Miami. That is why we have prepared a list of tips for making your new life in Miami easier.
Tip #1: Before moving to Miami, think about your financial potential
Well, unless you are buying your new home, you will have to look for a place to rent. Before you find your new home, you will have to think some things through. Put the numbers and the preferences on the paper. What does this mean? Well, you have to first be aware of your financial capacity, i.e. what are you financially capable of when it comes to renting an apartment. So, think whether monthly rent of $3500 is a lot for you or not. Bear in mind that having a roommate is also an important option. Here is a list of expenses for different types of apartments:
- A one-bedroom apartment in downtown: $1400+
- A one-bedroom apartment outside of downtown: $1000+
- A three-bedroom apartment in downtown: $2100+
- A three-bedroom apartment outside of downtown: $1700
- Per square meter when buying in downtown: $5160+
- Per square meter when buying outside of downtown: $2110+
Tip #2: Finding a perfect apartment
The next step is making the list of your preferences about what your new home must have. It would be best to make three lists with each of them covering the following three parameters.
- The first one is the most important one. It covers the basic requirements that your apartment needs to have like being close to a school for instance. Perhaps you are living alone and you want to be close to your job?
- The second list covers the secondary priorities like the apartment being close to a hospital. This is important, but if you had to choose, your priority may be the closeness to school rather than the hospital (or the other way around).
- The third list should cover some extra features like the building having an elevator, or being close to a Chinese restaurant. Also, bear in mind that having a roommate is also an important option.
Tip #3: There are ways that you can save money on food
One of the most important things to know before moving to Miami is that it is a melting pot of many cultures. This means that there are many different types of restaurants and food joints to choose from. There is literally something for everyone whether you like burgers or seafood. However, it is not always financially possible to simply walk into a restaurant and eat there. If you want to save some money, there are places where you can do that.
There are many independent grocery stores here, as well as the standard supermarket chains. The generally preferred supermarkets are Whole Foods Market, Presidente, Trader Joe’s and the Fresh Market. Also, you can always find restaurants that offer specials on different days of the week. You can look for some ideas on the Internet.
Tip #4: Saving money on alcohol is also possible
One of the most instantly recognizable pictures about Miami are people sitting on a beach and casually drinking cocktails. And there is a reason for it since people here like to relax with their friends and gently sip their favorite drinks. If you were not one of those people before moving to Miami, worry not, because you will probably become one. Drinking here is a matter of socializing and it is one of the easiest ways to make new friends. That is why it is important to know how to save money while drinking.
First of all, fliers and local papers are your friends here. Check them regularly for special offers from bars, clubs and even supermarkets. Also, many bars and restaurants offer specials during after work hours. Many clubs, cafes, and bars have various types of happy hour offers that can really make your day. Again, checking the Internet is always a good idea for this, since there are many groups on Facebook that deal with this sort of matter.
Tip #5: Using public transport effectively
A comforting thing to know before moving to Miami is that the public transport here is really great. There are trains, buses, and trolleys going all over the place. It is highly practical and serves the residents as well as the tourists. You can save money while using transport in more than one way.
- Firstly, be on the lookout for free rides and transfers from rails to buses and vice versa.
- Secondly, buying a weekly ticket is always a smart idea since it is really worth it.
- Thirdly, you can buy yourself a bike and cycle your way through Miami.